3. Thinking about mixed feeding? What is it and are there benefits?
Mixed feeding means providing your kitten with a combination of dry food and wet food. While it may not be right for every kitten out there, it does have benefits and so is worth considering. Kitten and cats prefer to have their mixed feeding served in separate bowls at least half a metre from their food! Here are some benefits of mixed feeding your kitten or cat.
- Helps with hydration. Kittens and cats can be lax about their water bowl, preferring to head straight for the food source. Dehydration can lead to health issues in your feline, so wet food is one way to help make sure that they’re getting enough water in their diet.
- Helps with oral hygiene. Dry food plays a key role in your kitten’s dental hygiene, minimising plaque build-up.
- Helps fussy feline eaters. Some kittens and cats may go through phases of being picky with their food. A combination of wet and dry food can help encourage them to eat what they need.
- Helps with variety. Your kitten is developing their sense of taste and smell. Mixed feeding can help to stimulate their senses for a more satisfying mealtime.
ROYAL CANIN® Kitten food comes in both Kitten and Babycat wet and dry food. It is specifically tailored to meet your kitten’s nutritional needs through all life stages.