Origins of the breed
The origins of the breed go all the way back to a yellow retriever by the name of Nous, bought by Lord Tweedmouth in 1865. The breed was then crossed a number of times, notably with a now defunct breed, the Tweed Water Spaniel, and later with the Bloodhound and the Irish Setter.
Eventually, the breed was recognised by The Kennel Club as a “yellow” or “golden” Retriever in 1913. When the Golden Retriever Club was established in 1920, the official breed name was changed to the Golden Retriever.