Whether you choose to adopt an adult dog or a puppy, there are pros and cons to rescuing a dog and it's a very personal decision that requires careful research and consideration of the type of home you will be able to provide.
Benefits of adopting a dog
- It can be an extremely rewarding
- Adult dogs may already be house trained
- Adult dogs may already be trained in basic commands
Challenges of adopting a dog
- It is difficult to predict the adult size of mixed breed puppies
- Sometimes rescue pets may have behavioral issues
- Adult dogs may lack basic training or could have developed bad habits
Top tips for adopting a dog
The key to a successful transition is spending time with your potential dog before bringing it home. Try to see it several times before adopting it and ask to take it out of the shelter for a few walks, both on and off the leash. If possible, take it out in your car and observe its behavior in different circumstances.